Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Next New Media?

It is really hard to put my finger on what would be the "next new media." Over time we've seen the movement away from legacy media to more digital and "new" media formats. We started off with newspapers, magazines, and traditional television to now using online/digital TV, Facebook, YouTube and Snapchat (among many others) for our entertainment. There are many companies now that are working on developing virtual reality to enhance digital entertainment. In the future, I think new media will incorporate more virtual reality. For example: people will be able to watch TV shows and movies utilizing virtual reality so they feel like they are in the show/movie themselves, people will be able to play console or computer video games with a virtual reality option to also immerse themselves into the game world, and finally I presume there will be an easy every day virtual reality adaption for people's cell phones or glasses that all them to see things in virtual reality while they are walking down the streets (billboards, store fronts, bus stop advertisements).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,

    I think your "next new media" idea is brilliant. It would be awesome if they incorporate virtual reality with TV shows, movies, and video games. I have recently done my New Media research paper on electronic video games. eSports have become the new hype in many parts of the world and many gamers wishes for it to be categorized as an actual sport. However, there are many controversies surrounding this debate because many sports organizations cannot justify playing video games as a competitive sport like basketball or baseball. If video game developers begin incorporating virtual reality into their video games and involve more parts of the body when playing, then I think it will greatly help justify the “training”, “competitiveness”, and "skills" of playing video games. Also, I really like your ideas about incorporating VR into glasses and everyday objects. I feel like marketing is very restricted and limited right now due to technology. I would much prefer seeing an VR advertisement on the street than a poster or flier. VR will definitely reshape the way we live within the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Annie- I totally agree with virtual reality becoming incorporated into media and entertainment nowadays. I think it's a great way to enhance the way viewers watch television as well as an innovative approach towards the development of content. Virtual reality is definitely up and coming, especially in the gaming world, like yourself and Curtis mentioned. Many companies have already implemented VR, such as Google. I can imagine in as little as 5 years from now- VR becoming an everyday thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Annie, Similar to the previous comment, I believe that virtual reality is going to be the next big thing. We saw a glimpse of it this past year and I believe that it is going to be incorporated into a lot of existing technologies. I also see VR being used in the office for meetings with clients overseas.

    ReplyDelete