Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Wiki So Far

I have not added any content to the class wiki yet, but I have done a lot of research in preparation for my term paper (that I was not able to use in my paper) which I hope to use to create a wiki page for. My wiki page will encompass the television ecosystem and the changes that are surrounding the industry. The wiki page will explain differences between broadcast TV, cable TV, and over-the-top TV services (online aggregators like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now). It will explain how each different method of video entertainment makes money (through licensing agreements, creating original content, retransmission fees for broadcast TV for example) and also capture any developments in the industry from the past to now. For example: in the past programming from broadcast TV was able to be retransmitted to a company's network for free, but in 1992, the US Cable TV Consumer Protection and Competition Act required that cable networks have to pay broadcasters to carry their programming. Retransmission fees eventually developed into a new revenue stream for networks that had broadcasted programming. 
In preparation for my paper, I had to do a lot of research on the above mentioned topics to get a foundational understanding of the TV ecosystem and then had to do research on how trends in the industry are affecting it (broadband is reaching more households, people are using more wireless devices and online outlets to find their entertainment, digital media is growing) and as a result, how the advertising industry is changing along with it. I also plan on summarizing how the advertising industry connects to TV. I plan on summarizing data into charts or using images from Google in order to add some more content onto my wiki page and make the data easier to digest. 
My wiki page will hope to explain a lot of the nitty gritty details that I was unable to elaborate on in my paper, and further provide the foundational research and background that anyone would be able to utilize to form an opinion on then changes in the two industries, as I have for my term paper. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how you want to compare and contrast broadcast TV,cable Tv and other TV services like Hulu, Netflix etc. seriously I think digital Tv is taking over that aspect of the technological industry.

    ReplyDelete