Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Creativity and New Media

Snapchat is a new media platform that is growing in popularity and use. It is a platform that allows people to take photos and videos of different things that disappear after a short time span. Over time, Snapchat added a feature that allowed people to put different filters on their content. Brands also started to create filters containing advertisements. Recently, I discovered that the platform also allows for people to create their own avatars using an application called Bitmoji.

Bitmoji is an avatar application that is compatible with Snapchat. Users are able to customize an avatar version of themselves (they are able to change facial/body features, hair, clothing, and accessories) and use them when communicating with others on Snapchat. I like to use Bitmoji because it is easy to work with and I use Snapchat very often.

Currently, my Bitmoji is an accurate representation of myself (as seen below).

  

From the last two photos above, one can see that Bitmoji allows me to pick from different face shapes and hairstyles to fit my needs. The application also allows me to choose my eyebrow shape, add makeup on my avatar, and change my eye shape among other features.

   

I also have the option to change my avatar's outfit. If, for example, it is football season, I can change my avatar to represent my favorite team. If I am in a period of my life where I am feeling super confident and professional, I can throw a suit onto my avatar. On the other hand, if I am ever feeling goofy, I can also throw on a costume for my avatar and make myself look like a unicorn.

Snapchat and Bitmoji also creates different stickers that showcase the avatar in different situations or displaying different emotions/sayings.

   

Although there is no way for me to control my avatar and make it perform actions, it is still a way for me to be creative because I am able to change the way that a fictional version of myself looks like. I can try different make up looks, hairstyles and outfits to see what I like or don't like.

2 comments:

  1. I think what Snapchat is doing with Bitmojis is a great idea. As you demonstrated in this post, there is a lot of creativity that Bitmoji allows for on Snapchat that goes beyond pictures that can get boring after a while. I haven't made one yet but all the different applications make me want to get one now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, it is very interesting. I am constant user of snapchat, but I have never used Bitmoji. It could be improved, such as implement real picture of real people and apply it to different emoji.

    ReplyDelete